Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Cosmos Goes "American Graffiti;" Closes In to Moon Us

Waxing to fullness,
 tracking its paces,
appearing to 3D right into our air space,
The Wolf Man rappin' in the back...

"http://www.youtube.com/embed/XUkRBiZCy6M"

and the pretty faces of the Press Corp can only do what they do: fantasize, glamorize and speculate with no understanding of the incomprehensible knowledge of Mankind, we've been here.  This is not the Unknown except to the media.

Back in "the day" when I skated in Piedmong Park, great showmen, Alvin Fleming & the Cosmos, would trundle down the path to the boathouse flats with their massive wheel borne amplifier powered by a half dozen car batteries.  They were awesome break-dance roller skaters with incredible crowd pleasing skills, crankin' music and true personal power.  Not just amusing, they were professional, gentle and performed at a level that set an example for onlookers of quality and character.  Tactful yet assertive, they were compelling in style, challenged those who approached disrespectful and were totally dance. Because I have witnessed and eventually worked in their circle, I know what to expect of men who aspire to leadership greatness.  Fondly, I recall my earliest months in Atlanta, seeking a church and meeting others in my community of professionals.  The Waxing Moon was a vegetarian restaurant operated by the same practicing Witches who ran the Wicca Church.  They had tax exempt status and although I was aware of their community, never ventured any closer than to dine there once.  On Sunday evenings, after the park, we'd go to the DAR building on Piedmont & 14th for the New Age services.  Faith healers held hands out as though receiving pulsations or radio waves to their palms.  They "offered" to help me, but I guess I don't truly believe.  Until something happens that makes me respect ... it  ... just may be somehow, possible. 

The Cosmos weren't regulars anywhere, but were likely to show up anywhere, on their skates.  When you noticed them, they were attracting attention - for the right reasons: they were worth watching and spontaneous.  They were about respect, about skills, about positive behavior and very, very little talking.  For that, they had the songs...Atomic Dog, Run DMC, the messages clear, witty and an unending developing routine. 

We had no camera phones, no Internet, no You Tube then.  But Atlanta had a school of Photography and many camera owners who brought their lenses to the party.  And they took pictures.  Endlessly,  I can only imagine, if that scene were to unfold today, surrounded as we always were, by hundreds of people watching skating, that I'd go home on Sunday evening and as I sat on my ottoman, removing my skates, I'd see a different ending.  Instead of looking up and seeing myself and my friends on the six o'clock news, I'd be getting emails from friends linking me to You Tube up links.  It's a new day.  We are all able to watch each other. 

I went to Google Earth and located Japan, then Libya, and noticed the numerous web cams dotting the map.  Every fifteen minutes the picture changes, and so, I can imagine that live cameras could soon afford us real-time views of anywhere someone with a camera wants to post.  Thus, the Moon entering its perigee, at it's closest point to Earth in its orbit, waxing gibbous into its fullest smiley face comin' at us with the Man-In-The-Moon Grin for our Eve of Spring Equinox Saturday Night Live.  Reactors wheezing in Japan, French Fighter Jets enforcing the No Fly Zone over Libya with the US launching cruise missiles toward the Mad Dog Howling in Tripoli and we can only figure, there are some Star Wars yet to Enter this Play on the Horizon.  Whoa, what a night!  What is it they call that military operation?  Odyssey Dawn. 

No comments: